Thursday, April 26, 2012

Tortilla Soup

It was 103 degrees in Lubbock yesterday. The heat, however, didn't slow me down, and I made soup for dinner! Soup is generally a fall/winter meal, but I just love it too much to not make it in the summer.

Before I moved into an apartment, my Nana wrote off a ton of recipes and made me a cookbook. It has everything from soup and salad, to desserts and casseroles. (My personal favorite recipe in the cookbook is Texas Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Cream frosting. Nana has managed to create a gluten-free version. Yuuuuum. Ok, moving on.)

Reagan had a meeting last night, so I pulled out Nana's cookbook and made this tortilla soup before he left. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to simmer. Delicious!



Saute corn tortillas, cut into strips, with an onion and cilantro in oil.



Add your other ingredients,



simmer for 30 minutes,



and feed your hungry husband.



Nana's Tortilla Soup
serves 6

Ingredients
8 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons cilantro
3 Tablespoons oil (of your choice)
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
2 qt. chicken broth
1 can diced tomoatoes
1 can Rotel
1 Tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions
Saute the tortillas, onion, garlic and cilantro in oil. Add other ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve with grated cheese, avocado slices, lime slices, and crisp fried tortilla strips!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment